Employees can be a business’s first line of defense against an insurable incident. But if your employees aren't properly trained in safe and effective work procedures then they may be little help in stopping an insurable incident; in fact, they may even inadvertently bring one on.
An employee or procedure manual is the perfect way to communicate proper procedures that will help stem an insurable incident. You just need to think about the best way to put one together.
Procedure Manuals and Property Insurance
A procedure manual can spell out many policies that will result in fewer claims against your commercial property insurance, including:
- Procedures for on-site alarms. Training your employees on how to use the business alarm will help prevent break-ins, theft and vandalism.
- Proper equipment handling. Teaching employees how to properly handle equipment will help prevent fires and electrical issues and will help your business save money on machine breakdowns and maintenance issues.
- Appropriate customer service procedures. Liability claims from customers can be greatly reduced if your procedure manual teaches employees how to conduct themselves during everyday incidents. It can include topics such as dealing with customers, how to keep the sales floor clear of debris, and how to handle customer property to minimize the risk of damage.
- Fire safety techniques. Teaching employees how to use the fire extinguisher and how to evacuate the building can reduce overall claims on every policy, including worker’s compensation.
- Safe driving techniques. If your employees run errands for your business then they need to be covered under the company's commercial auto insurance policy even if they use their own car. By setting out the procedures for operating a company vehicle or conducting company errands in their personal vehicle, you can help teach employees how to stay safe and avoid accidents.
Procedure Manuals and Liability Insurance
Many different incidents can result in damages that create claims against your liability insurance policies including damages due to professional errors, cyber theft and social media related slander or libel. By spelling out specific procedures in your employee manual regarding these activities, you can ensure that your employees use best practices to help prevent lawsuits and liability claims.
Arming your company with the right informative tools and insurance will help you stay in business for many years to come. Give us a call at 813-933-6691 to find out how our Tampa business insurance products can help.